the Young City
The Teutonic Knights was summoned to Pomerania in order to provide armed support to Gdańsk in the fight against the Brandenburg army and located on the coastal areas of the future Young City. The new settlement was established under the Chełmno law in order to compete with the already existing units – the Main Town, the Old Town and Osieka. It could not be called the New Town, because that was the then Main Town. The reign of the Teutonic Knights ended in 1455 with the liquidation of the Young City by King Kazimierz Jagiellończyk. He considered the new settlement a threat to the Republic of Poland.
The area, along with Gdańsk, was incorporated into the Polish Crown, and Gdańsk took over the leading political role in the region.
550 years later, the Young City was reborn within Gdańsk borders, with a new energy and ideas for developing a people-friendly place.